Monday, January 15, 2007

Work in progress: Tarte Tatin

No recipe, just a picture. Here's a Tarte Tatin I made in November during my apple-cake baking frenzy, using a recipe from Joanna Harris' book The French Kitchen. It was delicious, with wonderfully caramelised apples, and a melt-in-your-mouth crumbly shortcrust pastry. We finished it within 12 hours (the first few slices after dinner, the last crumbs for breakfast next morning). And that's just between two of us..



Yet K. insists the apple/crust ratio is wrong - he wants way more apples and a lot less pastry. Hence I'm looking for an even better recipe with more apples and less dough.

I'm thinking of trying Molly's good-looking one, especially as I've got a good bottle of Tokaji waiting to be consumed, and Molly claims it's a pairing made in heaven. However, I think I'd prefer one using shortcrust pastry instead of puff pastry.. Maybe I should attempt Clotilde's tarte tatin with salted butter caramel? What about this one from Epicurious using sour cream pastry?

Any other suggestions?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks great as is! I think I have the same cookbook too!

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious your tarte tartin, Pille! I have to rembember to eat one. I'm off to France on Sunday:-)

Anonymous said...

That picture is making me hungry. I like mine with lots of pastry, so it sounds perfect. As far as the other choices, I'd go with salted butter caramel. That sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Next time, Pille, try dividing the pastry & make 2 tarts with thinner shells, & put 1 in the freezer. I loved reading Joanne Harris's fiction books. I bet her cookbook is just as fascinating.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pille! That looks amazing...all glisten-y and ready to be attacked! :) I can imagine it tasted delicious :)

All the recipes look great...I guess it just depends on your taste...Pene's suggestion is great and easy way to get your thinner pastry crust :)

I already posted the Canadian Apple Cake that I made...YUM! :)

Anonymous said...

Pene, I support your thinking :-)

Anonymous said...

minugi jaoks tähendab õunakook pigem rohkem õunu ja vähem tainast, parim variant tagurpidi õunakoogist on kindlasti tehtud muretaignaga ja korraliku karamelliga:) selle kallal pean veel natuke vaeva nägema, siiamaani pole kook piisavalt karamelline tulnud, aga eks kõike jõuab!

Anonymous said...

Looks very yummy to me. I haven't made tarte-tatin yet but the name alone makes my mouth water.

Pille said...

K & S - this was the first thing I cooked from JH's book, but the recipes look lovely!

Anne - I envy you! I've been wanting to go back to France since my first trip to Paris last May..

Natalia - I'll try Clotilde's salted caramel tatin soon, as I simply cannot resist the 'salted caramel' bit:)

Pene - that's a great idea, thanks!

Joey - I read your Canadian apple cake post - so pleased to hear you liked it..

K - I hear you, I hear you:)

Evelin - karamell tuli selle retsepti järgi vägagi korralik, aga tainakogust tuleb, jah, vähendada.

Veron - well, guess you need to make one soon then:)

Anonymous said...

This tarte tatin looks awesome.

Anyway, if you need the original (as far as i know) recipe, you should check this website

I'm following this recipe for years know and it is just plain delicious.

Hope this helps in your quest to prepare the perfect Tarte tatin.

Gilles (gilles.demarty (AT) gmail.com )
If you have any comments, email me ;)